Thursday, January 28, 2016

VMWare's workstation and the layoffs

This news came out yesterday about VMWare. The company is laying off 800 people, and this includes the entirety of the Workstation and Fusion teams. This is disconcerting news to say the least. Much of the networking and security community uses Fusion/Workstation on a regular basis for testing.

I use Workstation personally to virtualize various operating systems almost daily. I do all my development inside of VM's so if something happens I can just restore from a snapshot, I don't have to worry about my laptops actual hard drive being trashed. If I read about a new vulnerability and want to test it out, I can just spin up the relevant operating system and go for it.

I will keep using workstation as long as it is viable for my needs, but I will have start shopping around for alternatives, probably either VirtualBox or QEMU.

Thanks VMWare.

f3n3s7ra


No comments:

Post a Comment